HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 4

From:
Yosef Rosenblatt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> >Nope. The poorest Americans don't pay the alternative minimum tax any more
> >than they pay other income taxes. Is does amount to a tax increase on
> >upper-middle-class Americans.
> I stand corrected on the issue of the poor. Although if you can choose ATM
> or regular tax, I don't see how it is and increase on upper-middle-class? [...]42_25Mar200410:30:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:50:20 -0500
Yesterday I received an E-Mail from my ISP. It said, "Dear user, the
management of Dtg.net mailing system wants to let you know that, Some of our
clients complained about the spam (negative e-mail content) outgoing from
your e-mail account. Probably, you have been infected by a proxy-relay
trojan server. In order to keep your computer safe, follow the instructions.

Please, read the attach for further details."

Two thinks made me suspicious, the first was that the sender was
[log in to unmask] The second was the mixed capitalization of the ISP's name.
I called the tech services department and they said they had not sent the
e-mail. Upon their request I sent them a copy of the e-mail. It turns out
that had I opened the attachment I would have in fact been infected by a
virus.

I just thought I'd pass this along because the old adage of don't open
anything from someone you don't know doesn't apply here. The perpetrator of
this scam may use your ISP next, especially if it is a small independent
ISP. Verifying saved a heap o' hassle.

Pray for Peace,
Yosef