HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 4

From:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:42:27 -0800
--- Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> You still do not understand.

Oh Grasshopper,

We agree on more than we disagree, but my terminology is probably not the best.
 So let me try to educate you again.

Do you remember the enhancement in MPE/iX 6.0 that was called "Enhanced
Checkpoint"?  It is still there in later version but it is not functional.  Why
do you think  "Enhanced Checkpointing" was created.   Let me quote the
manual...

"This solution achieves an improvement in performance by not holding one of the
system-wide semaphores for too long while it's scanning the entire virtual
address range (could be 4 GB) of a modified file. It remembers the dirty page
ranges for each modified file in the log half being checked and does posting to
disk only for those ranges."

Now imagine a system that consist's of one primary image database, with one
primary dataset called CUSTOMERS that is 14GB in size.  All 1000 users access
customers, and SUPRTOOL is the favorite program.  Where do you think the system
will be scanning?

How knows Denys, maybe you can teach an ole dog new tricks.

Now the patch I was looking for was one that minimized the overhead of holding
the above semaphore.

Now go and enjoy your weekend, I have some OT posts to catch up on.

-Craig