HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 4

From:
Jay Maynard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Maynard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:01:14 -0600
On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:34:31AM -0800, Duane Percox wrote:
> And as a business owner who has IP in it's portfolio I will remind
> everyone that if you don't enforce your IP rights you lose them.

This is true of trademarks, but not of copyrights or patents. Not all IP is
the same.

That said, a corporation has a fiduciary duty to its stockholders to get the
most out of its corproate assets, and if Gateway had been paying royalties
on the patents and stopped doing so, they have an obligation to force the
issue.