HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 4

From:
"Simpkins, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simpkins, Terry
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:21:29 -0500
I am looking for a tool to measure and track circuit utilization on our
WAN.
We have several T-1s and I need to measure their utilization in a couple
of ways.
1) what is the utilization of the pipe in total?
2) where is the traffic coming from?  For example, one of the T-1s is an
IPVPN circuit that connects the Hampton, VA site to 3 other sites across
the USA.
I need to know what % of the traffic is coming from site A, B and C
3) what type of traffic is coming across the circuit?  For an internet
circuit, I need to know how much of the traffic is "port 80" surfing,
verses FTP traffic, music downloads, etc.

I want to be able to graph this information over time so I can
(hopefully) spot trends.

Anyone have a package they recommend for doing this?

My datacomm provider says they can't provide this information.

Terry W. Simpkins

Directory ISIT

Measurement Specialties

757-766-4278