HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
Richard Ali <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Ali <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:40:10 -0000
Ho hum...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp

-----Original Message-----
From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of John Lee
Sent: 17 March 2004 16:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OT: The cycle of democracy

I pass this along...I have not researched it for accuracy (other fires
burning), but it's interesting nonetheless and certainly fits into some
current OT discussions.

John Lee

>The Cycle of Democratic Republics.
>

>At about the time our original 13 states adopted their new
>constitution,
in
>the year 1787, Alexander Tyler (a Scottish history professor at The
University
>of Edinborough) had this to say about "The Fall of The Athenian Republic"
>some 2,000 years prior. "A democracy is always temporary in nature; it
simply
>cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will
>continue
>exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote
>themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.
>
>From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who
>promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result
>that
every
>democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, (which is)
always
>followed by a dictatorship."
>
>"The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the
>beginning
of
>history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these
>nations always progressed through the following sequence:
>
>From Bondage to spiritual faith;
>From spiritual faith to great courage;
>From courage to liberty;
>From liberty to abundance;
>From abundance to complacency;
>From complacency to apathy;
>From apathy to dependence;
>From dependence back into bondage."
>
>Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul,
>Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning the most recent
Presidential
>election:
>Population of counties won by:
>Gore = 127 million.
>Bush = 143 million.
>Square miles of land won by:
>Gore = 580,000
>Bush = 2,2427,000
>States won by:
>Gore = 19
>Bush = 29
>Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by:
>Gore = 13.2
>Bush = 2.1
>
>Professor Olson adds:
>"In aggregate, the map of the territory Bush won was mostly the land
owned
>by the tax-paying citizens of this great country. Gore's territory
encompassed
>those citizens living in government-owned tene ments and living off
government
>welfare..."
>
>Olson believes the U.S. is now somewhere between the "apathy" and
>"complacency" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy; with
some 40 percent
>of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental
dependency"
>phase.

The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient
and may not be disclosed. Although it is believed that this email and
any attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to confirm this.

Smith & Williamson Corporate Finance Limited - A member of M&A
International Inc. http://www.mergers.net Registered in England No.
4533970. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
Smith & Williamson Investment Management Limited, Registered No. 976145. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Smith & Williamson Pension Consultancy Limited - Independent
Intermediary. Registered No. 3133226. Authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority.
Smith & Williamson Unit Trust Managers Limited, Registered No. 1934644. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Smith & Williamson Limited - A member of Nexia International.
Registered in England No. 4534022. Regulated by the Institute of
Chartered Accountants in England & Wales for a range of investment
business activities.

Registered Office: No 1 Riding House Street, London W1A 3AS
Telephone: 020 7637 5377 http://www.smith.williamson.co.uk

Nexia Audit Limited - A member of Nexia International. Registered in
England No. 4469576. Registered to carry on audit work and regulated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales for a range of investment business activities.

Registered Office: No 1 Riding House Street, London W1A 3AS
Telephone: 020 7637 5377 http://www.nexiaaudit.co.uk

NCL Investments Limited, Registered No. 1913794.
Member of the London Stock Exchange authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Registered Office: Bartlett House, 9-12 Basinghall Street, London  EC2V 5NS
Telephone: 020 7600 2801