HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:35:38 -0500
HP-3000 Systems Discussion wrote:
> With two sticks and kindling I can create fire, but if I want to cut
> sheet metal I prefer to use a blowtorch (intentional knock on Unix).

;-)

> But seriously, if you want to run jobs in the order that you submit
> them one at a time, cron is useless.  Or if you have several jobq's
> like on the 3000 you can ensure several single threaded lists of
> tasks be completed.

I'm not trying to start any religious wars here, that's Wirt's and Bryce's
job.  :-o  Cron capability came with SLEEPER but I never had multiple job
queues while I was a system manager.  (6.0?)  But other people have taken
two sticks, rubbed them together and created several MPE-like batch systems.
Some of these will actually move jobs around so quick jobs run in one queue
and longer jobs get moved to another queue.  Others accept jobs and submit
them to a machine with a lower load.  Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE MPE.  I
just can't imagine how long it would take to get these kinds of features
through an SIB...

Mark W.