HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:57:34 -0500
Lars Appel wrote:
> I once saw this ftp message when a custom writte ftp
> client program opened a control and data connection from
> different ip addresses by accident (it ran on a Unix box
> with Service Guard or somesuch using multiple IP adresses
> per LAN card). Once they made sure that control and data
> connections used the same IP, the error went away.

This is actually a Good Thing(tm).  Various exploits have abused the
PORT command functionality to redirect access to an IP other than the
client (not good) or have it open a port < 1024 (which used to be a big
deal when not everybody on the internet had 'root' capability via their
use of linux/windows/etc on their PCs.  Nice idea when only "servers"
were on the net, ridiculous now.

Jeff