HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Baier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:08:05 -0500
true and yet funny.
No more olives and paella, no more polish vodka or tulips

House Republicans haven't suggested an embargo on olives and paella yet,
but it's probably just pocos minutos away. By the time these guys are
through, it will be unpatriotic to consume any ethnic food but fish and
chips and kielbasa, washed down with a fine Bulgarian wine.

Republicans like Dennis Hastert were ranting yesterday about the
Spaniards. "Here's a country who stood against terrorism and had a huge
terrorist act within their country," Mr. Hastert said, "and they chose to
change their government to, in a sense, appease terrorists."

The Republicans prefer to paint our old ally as craven rather than accept
the Spanish people's judgment — which most had held since before the war —
that the Iraq takeover had nothing to do with the war on terror.

The Spanish were also angry at José María Aznar because they felt he had
misled them about the bombings, trying to throw guilt on ETA and away from
Al Qaeda. The Republicans certainly don't want anyone here to think about
throwing somebody out of office because he was misleading about Al Qaeda.

During a photo-op with Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende of the
Netherlands on Tuesday, Mr. Bush did his "Beavis and Butthead" snigger as a
Dutch reporter noted that most of his countrymen want to withdraw Dutch
troops from Iraq because they think the conflict "has little to do with the
war against terrorism, and may actually encourage terrorism." (Uh-oh, looks
like no tulips on the Capitol grounds this spring.)

"I would ask them," the president replied, "to think about the Iraqi
citizens who don't want people to withdraw because they want to be free."

Now that he hasn't found any weapons, Mr. Bush says the war was worth it so
Iraqis could experience democracy. But when our allies engage in democracy,
some Republicans mock them as lily-livered.

The Republicans treat John Kerry as disdainfully as they do the European
allies who have disappointed the White House, painting him as a French-
looking dude who went to a Swiss boarding school, as an effete Brahmin who
would rather cut intelligence and military spending than face down
terrorists.