HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 3

From:
"Baker, MikeAMG" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Baker, MikeAMG
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:03:37 -0600
Hello.  I would like to add disc "on the fly" to our backup volume.  We all
ready have 8 discs out there in a scratch state.

 LDEV-TYPE            STATUS    VOLUME           VOLUME SET - GEN
 ----------           -------   ----------------------------------
   60-ST318275LC      SCRATCH
   61-ST318436LC      SCRATCH
   62-ST318275LC      SCRATCH
   63-ST318275LC      SCRATCH
   64-ST318275LC      SCRATCH
   65-ST318275LC      SCRATCH
   66-ST318436LC      SCRATCH
   67-ST318436LC      SCRATCH

I want to add them to an existing volume group (not
mpexl_system_volume_set).  Do I go into volutil and do something like

NEWVOL VOLUME_NAME:MEMBER## 60 100 100

...for each disc?  I watched the guy from HP do this before, and the 100 100
is the percent space for permanent or transient space, and this lets it be
used for either one.  They I saw someone on the list say that transient
space is not available on private volumes.

I'm always nervous when doing this kind of stuff.  I just want to add disc
on the fly, and we have scheduled a reboot for Saturday morning (to clear
the ghost jobs from my other post).  I know you don't need to reboot for the
disc add, but you do need to do a start norecovery the next time you DO
reboot, because sysgen puts the info in some hold area.

Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike Baker
DISCLAIMER:
This communication, along with any documents, files or attachments, is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain legally
privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended
copying of any information contained in or attached to this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and destroy the original communication and its
attachments without reading, printing or saving in any manner. This
communication does not form any contractual obligation on behalf of the
sender, the sender's employer, or the employer's parent company, affiliates
or subsidiaries.