HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 2

From:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 10 Mar 2004 11:03:19 -0500605_- Dear HP3000-L Folks,

I have a couple of questions regarding setup of disk drives on a 3000.

Our system is a 4-way 440MHz N4000, with 13 LUNs spread across 2 Nike Mod 20
arrays (MPE 7.0, PowerPatch 2). The system was set up with a single volume
set. We've been told we can increase the performance of the box by using
user volumes, because each volume set would get its own instance of the
transaction manager. However, our system manager remembers being told, some
time ago, that multiple volume sets weren't necessarily always a good idea,
because of the increased [...]38_10Mar200411:03:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:12:25 -0800
Hi Wirt :)
    Well,  I always have tried to do my part to keep the traffic up...
sometimes even posting on topic! hehe

    Seriously, the activity level has dropped... but.. I noticed that their
are still a lot of questions about the 3k in the last 2 weeks that sounded
like people are still hard at it with their 3k's

    And I have heard that several firms that I have worked with over the
years are still going strong on their 3k's... despite their best efforts to
move off of them!

Art 'Just checking the security... " Bahrs

Art Bahrs, CISSP           Information Security          The Regence Group
(503) 553-1425              FAX (503) 553-1453

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           "Wirt Atmar"         |
|         |           Sent by: "HP-3000    |
|         |           Systems Discussion"  |
|         |           DU>                  |
|         |                                |
|         |                                |
|         |           03/11/2004 01:46 PM  |
|         |           Please respond to    |
|         |           WirtAtmar            |
|         |                                |
|         |           |-------------------||
|         |           | [ ] Secure E-mail ||
|         |           |-------------------||
|---------+-------------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                          |
  |      To:    [log in to unmask]                                                                                       |
  |     cc:                                                                                                                  |
  |     Subject:      [HP3000-L] OT: Quiet as a tomb                                                                         |
The five most busy have traditionally been these:

     HP3000-L
     su-talk (a Summit Information Systems list)
     ECOLOG-L (a list for members of the Ecological Soc. of America)
     evoldir (a professional evolutionary biology list)
     aslcnm (the Astronomical Society of Las Cruces, an amateur society)

In the old days, before HP killed MPE, the rankings above were the order of
the various lists busy-ness'es, with each list being about twice as busy as
the
list below it, although on some days, su-talk could challenge HP3000-L.

Over the last year the busy-ness level of HP3000-L has fallen dramatically.
And this week, and today especially, for the first time that I can
remember,
the HP3000-L has fallen below the aslcnm traffic level.

If anyone is trying to predict what the "HP3000 community" will be like
after
2006, this trend certainly isn't promising.

Wirt Atmar

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely
for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly
prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended
to be a legally binding signature.