HP3000-L Archives

March 2004, Week 2

From:
"Emerson, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emerson, Tom
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 14:10:06 -0800
Well, "if done right..." these shouldn't be issues...

This can be alleviated somewhat by proper use of the "default button" property for form controls [then again, I'm not entirely sure that in a "browser" environment the concept of a "default" button has much meaning; a less clean, but more effective, method would be to intercept keystrokes at the form level watching for the "enter" key]

> [...] the other [...] gaping issue ... these
> folks however, had issues with the drop-down menus for State [...]

again it gets down to "smart" controls -- most list controls will attempt to find the best match based on what you type "so far", but there are two ways of doing this [which will have an equal number of proponents as combatants... :) ]

   1: each type you press the "initial" letter of the list item, it moves to the next
   2) it keeps track of "what you've typed so far" and selects the best up to that point.

So, for states, pressing "C" alone is often sufficient to select "California", but if you want to select "Colorado", you'll have to type "CC" or "CO" depending on which method is in place -- either way, your "heads down" data entry types (should) quickly learn what needs to be typed at what point to make the proper selection.

Food for thought -- as always, "ymmv" in cases like this... ;)