SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:05:57 +1100
I know that it's not strictly relevant to diving, but I've just heard that
Alistair Cooke is about to retire after more than fifty years of
broadcasting his weekly, "Letter From America" - a 12-minute or so talk that
he gave each week, since 1946, about happenings in the States.

He's 95.  And has been a constant commentator on what is happening in the
USA since as long as I can remember.  :-)

Listened to around the world each week, his commentaries have been a
constant source of information, amusement and, sometimes, (for me, at
least!) amazement.

In '96 - when Flight TWA 800 plummeted into the sea shortly after take off,
and amidst the surrounding media hype concerning the u/w search for the
bodies and wreckage - he said, "No one spoke about the divers."  They, he
said, were, "Unsung heroes".  He continued by saying that, "If anyone,
during 1996, was deserving of the Medal Of Honour then they're the ones!"

This week-end marks his last broadcast here in Oz.  He's a commentator, (the
terms, "journalist" and "reporter" really don't apply to somebody of his
calibre) who's observations of the world will be sadly missed.  :-)

Strike