SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 06:41:00 -0500
David Strike wrote:

> It seems that I do owe Lee an apology!  I'd always believed that his
> opposition to antagonistic comments had been the prime mover in his
> role to have Bob's posts censored on Scuba-L/SE . . .

I have not now, nor have I ever had a role or supported any role which had,
as its purpose, censorship of Bob's posts on Scuba-L, Scuba-SE or anyplace
else.  We've had this discussion before.  I'm here specifically because I
opposed censorship, specifically censorship of Bob.  I left Scuba-L
completely, rejecting everything relating to the censorship that was being
imposed.  You, on the other hand, didn't feel so strongly about it.  You
stayed.
I invite you to show otherwise..

> It's obvious that I was mistaken. :-)

Yes, it is.

> Being a firm believer in freedom of speech and expression, (and the
> fact that there's always somebody out there with greater knowledge)
> I do look forward to being educated about diving, life and death, and
> all of the other inconsequential things in between, by such an
> erudite and worthy group!

There are, in fact, some people there with greater knowledge than yours or
mine, but you'd have to participate to know.  There are some exceptionally
bright, experienced and knowledgeable people on rec.scuba.  One, in
particular, shares your interest in diving history and is an incredible
source of information.  You'd find one another quite interesting and would
both certainly benefit from an exchange of knowledge and sources.  There's
at least two participants that are occasionally found with the group in High
Springs and a number who own and operate dive stores and charters from New
York to Key West and all along the US West Coast.  Andrew Georgitis's
assistant teacher, who got one of his cave dives broadcast on national
television, has spent considerable time there.   Jarrod Jablonski has
stopped in now and then to discuss Halcyon issues and another equipment
manufacturer regularly dives discounts to group members.

> Regrettably - 'cause I'm not man enough to stick my pecker into a
> sackful of starving ferrets - I'm not prepared to venture into
> uncharted territory, (otherwise I'd have posted this on rec.scuba!!!)
> :-)

Ah well.  That is regrettable.  Better safe than sorry.  There are the
abrasive, the inexperienced and the just plain stupid in rec.scuba as well.
That's the nature of life.  The bad tends to come with the good.  Maybe it
is better that you stay here, where you are the most experienced in some
areas and are supported by those that are the most experienced in theirs,
where the kind of controversy and argument that can actually advance one's
knowledge so rarely happens.  Your choice.  I chose differently..

Lee