SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:24:40 +1000
Sir Feesh wrote:

> Sir Christian, your misgeneralization is as erred as Sir Ray's.
>
> When I dived Coco's, the briefing on the location to find the
> red-lipped batfish was deadly accurate, including the depth of
> 115 ffw.

This one:

http://www.aquatic-encounters.com/photos/ss05.html

> With as many different species as critters in both the Caribbean
> AND the Pacific, it is not prudent even for an itchthologist to
> generalize unless he has specific or first hand knowledge where
> they exist or not exist in certain areas or their expected behavior.

Not just that but I wuz wrong anyway, didn't read my book properly. At
least I have now learned that our own Diamond Fish as well as our
Ladder-Finned Pomfret which, IIRC, Sir Strike sometimes alludes to,
are both sometimes also known as "Silver Batfish".

*I* was referring to:

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/pteira.htm

These, quite definitely, are not bottom dwellers but they can and do
make decos a pleasant and interesting experience since they tend to
live in schools and are quite inquisitive.

Cheers,

Christian