SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
Michael Doelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:30:42 -0500
>The bloody turtles kept getting between him and the perfect shot of a
whaleshark cruising around the island!  (The bastards!  Boil them down into
soup, says, I!)  :-)))<

Ackshully, I prefer turtle steak - cut from the flippers. Pretty much the
only thing on the menu in coastal Quintana Roo once you got tired of
lobster and huachinango when I first traveled there. OK, that was a few
years back, when the only paved part out there was the landing strip on
Coz.

Of course, you'll see my Sipadan update here first ...Whalesharks? They put
them on their t-shirts and the "should-have-been-here-last-week-residents"
used to swear they have seen them. And why not, lots of deep water all
around. Saw a thresher there once,  and they are pretty rare in that area
too.

But if the hammers are around I'll be perfectly happy. Any word on how the
shallow reefs have recovered?