SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
Bjorn Vang Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:54:46 +0800
David Strike wrote:

> Bjorn wrote:
>>> learned a few years ago when I attended a 1-week media
>>> handling course run by a bunch of ex-journos from all media.
>>> That was a brutal experience indeed :-)

> Mate!  Some of them can be true bastards!

Can't we all ? :-)

> (Alas!  I turned my back on all that 'cause it didn't offer the same
> excitement, adrenalin and interesting professional characters that
> diving did/does!)  :-)

I am currently reading Kate Adie's autobiography, "The Kindness of
Strangers". Do buy it and read it, and I think you'll find that you merely
took the wrong path :-) It's one of the most exciting, interesting and
quietly intelligent books I have read in months, and full of wonderful
little revelations, such as the moment when James Carrington, the British
Foreign Secretary was informed that the Argentines had invaded South
Georgia.

His indomitable words on this rather momentous occasion: "Oh fuck!" :-))

For non-BBC watchers, Kate Adie is hard to pin down. The closest I can get
is that she is the British version of CNN's Christine Amanpour. Except she's
been in the game since the late 1960's.

Bjorn