SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
Ray Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:06:17 EST
In a message dated 3/29/2004 4:43:06 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
G'Day, Mate!  Wot'dya mean by 'ole'?  Hendrix hasn't passed his 'use-by'
date yet - even if I don't know what tune to wot you are referring!  :-)
Hello my friend,

I would agree with you completely. I love to listen to old Hendrix stuff.
When I was a young sprout I made my living playing a bass guitar in a band for a
while and we played alot of Hendrix. Hey Joe was one of my favorites because
of the walking bass line that was in it.

Ah!  Now knowing that your idea of 'rough' and mine are poles apart, (mine
is when sombody coughs and causes a ripple on the water) tell us more.  :-)

I left out of Key West on the 19th and the wind had been blowing about 30
knots for several days. It was a spearfishing/lobster trip that covered the
Marquesses and the Tortugas. The seas the first day were only 3 to 5 feet which for
a 65(?) feet boat was still a bit bouncy but made every dive. The next day
the seas had gotten up to 6-9 foot and what made it so bad was the entry system
they had on the boat. The damn ladder just beat the crap out of me. I told my
buddies that I could go to any Western club and ride the mechanical bull after
that trip. Nearly everyone on board got seasick. I haven't been sick in years
and I made it through this trip also but I did have to come up from my keel
berth a couple of times to escape the fumes from other passengers. 8)

We anchored in at Fort Jefferson overnight but never docked at the fort. I
was looking forward to meeting Brad. I had planned on taking one of the sea
planes out to the Fort but they were already booked up because of being spring
break here for the schools. As it turned out my wife turned green at the thought
of flying in that small of a plane. When she was a young gal her Dad was a
pilot and they got caught in a bad thunderstorm and it scared the hell out of
her. She won't get on a small plane without draggin her screaming and kicking and
I was afraid I get arrested in Key West for that!! 8) Well maybe not come to
think of it, they may be used to it there.8)

FWIW!  I still regard that night dive in Coz - the one where you took pains
to point out to me all of the critters that I failed to see - as one of the
finest and most enjoyable night dives that I've ever done! :-)

Same here sir, BUT like I've stated before it just because I know these
waters. You can return the favor if I ever get to dive Shelly Beach with you. I
hope we can when I'm there this summer.

(BTW!  Sylvia still uses you as the yardstick for measuring a gentleman.
She - like most of us that met you, I guess - were very impressed by your
use of the word 'Sir' when you addressed somebody.  I'm goin' to take
lessons from you when you lob into town this year!  )  :-)))

Blushing.............. thank you sir and please tell Sylvia thank you also
but instead of taking lessons from me take me diving!!!! 8)

Look forward to seeing you my friend..................Oh is there anything
you would like for me to bring you from the States? Nooooooo I don't want to
trade for Vegamite!!!! 8)

Take care sir,

Ray