SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:04:11 +1000
On Friday, March 26, 2004 2:42 PM, Crusty wrote:

> (snip)

> > > It would appear that moderate exercise conducted 20 - 24 hours prior
> > > dive reduced the number of bubbles; reduced the severity of the
illness;
> and
> > > reduced its incidence in experiments conducted on animals.  The time
> frame
> > > of 20-24 hours is, however critical.

(snip)

> > I've seen this research, most lately on the Scuba Doc forum, that
suggests
> this exercise/time before diving relationship benefit.  However, what of a
> multi-day dive plan, where moderate exercise, post dive, is not
recommended.
> Does this mean you only get a benefit on the first day of diving having
> exercised 20-24hr prior?

> Mate!  I was so busy trying to work out what some of the words meant that
> never asked him those questions!  :-)

Mate!  It's also just ocurred to me that I never asked about what form the
exercise should be?  Presumably there are set exercises that are critical to
the outcome?  What I regard as strenuous, for example, some folks might
believe doesn't even qualify as "exercise"! :-)

I'll ask him about this next time we speak - which will probably be this
week-end when he's flying over from New Zealand to spend the week-end in
Sydney, as a speaker at a diving function in Manly organised by one of the
lists.  :-))

Strike