SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:39:31 -0500
"Bjorn Vang Jensen" wrote:

> Here's something unusual: A diving-related tip!

Better than that, it appears to be a really good one.

> In a recent - entirely photography-related - private exchange with Hugh
> Huntzinger, he pointed me to a really neat little PhotoShop tip, which
some
> might want to try for themselves. It attempts to create a "strobe effect"
in
> pictures taken without a strobe, or with a very weak one. I havent' tried
it
> myself yet, since I am traveling and don't have access to my pictures, but
> thought I'd pass it on:
>
> http://pt010.da-kine.info/adjustments.htm
>
> If it is really as effective as it looks from the example given, digital
> shooters with only on-board flashes may want to try to turn the flash off
> and rely on this technique instead. At the very least, it would reduce
> backscatter.

I certainly agree that the results are impressive.  Not having a digital
underwater camera, I have spent a lot of time scanning and then improving on
prints taken on various dives, with and without strobes.  I don't think I've
ever managed to improve a shot as much as the one in the article.  Most
impressive.

Lee