SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:14:45 -0500
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:23:05 -0500, Ray Cardinale <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>Nobody has answered yet what city does code MSY stand for.
>>

>Moisant Stock Yards. Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.

Damned!  Ray, you made it sound too easy.  :-)

A code book gives it the correct way:

New Orleans International Airport (Moisant Field)

*> Before the airport, stockyards were built on the site where Moisant
*> crashed and those were named after him.  When the airport was
*> built on that site, they designated it MSY and it's still Moisant
*> Field.

The name Louis Armstrong International came around 2001.  But
everyone suspect it'll not catch on and Moisant will be Moisant. :-)

>Trivia... IAD (Dulles) was originally DIA but looked too much like
>DCA when written on flight plans so it had to be changed. I was still
>flying at the time circa 1970.
>
>RayC

If you told someone, "I am going to DIE!", do you think it'll
ever occur them that you're going to Madagascar?  :-)

Airport Code :  DIE
Airport name :  Arrachart Airport
City :  Antsiranana
Country :  Madagascar