SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:38:33 -0500
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:26:36 -0800, David Hale <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>US codes are all over the place. They range from easy
>(LAX),

Actually that's not all that easy.  :-)   What did the X stand for?
Answer:  space filler.  All CODES have three letters.

>somewhat obscure (TYS = McGee Tyson, Knoxville TN),

Not obscure at all.  :-)  TYS  for TYSon.

> or totally obscure like the APF example.

No, no.  :0)  That's perfectly obvious:  nAPles, Florida
Using middle letters is common:  EWR for nEWaRk.  :-)

The F in APF is necessary to distinguish it from Naples, Italy.
But Naples Italy has the code NAP, which should have belonged
to Nappa Merry QL Australia AU, but its code is NMR, from
Nappa MeRry.  :-))

Nobody has answered yet what city does code MSY stand for.

With David's web, that one is easy.  But WHY the acronym is
a much tougher and more obscure than nearly ALL airline codes.

Closer to home, I haven't figured out why Nashville is coded BNA.

NA is probably the NAshville part, but what's B?

-- Bob.