SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
Bjorn Vang Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:49:29 +0800
David Strike wrote:

> Mate!  Sylvia and I visited - among other places - the War Museum, in
> Canberra, (the Capital City of Oz) on Monday.  It's a place that I
> always brings a lump to my throat.  One of the exhibits features all
> of the Victoria Cross winners (the highest award for gallantry in the
> British system of Honours).  Most were awarded posthumously.

I recently received a kukuri as a present from one of our Ghurka security
guards at our main warehouse in Malaysia, and it spawned an interest in
researching these amazing men. They have received more than their fair share
of VCs (and along the way, I discovered that there have been 3 Danish
recipients, too, whereas I only knew of one), and the citations for these
medals are invariably the most astonishing reads!

Bjorn