SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:12:12 -0500
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:10:41 +0800, Bjorn Vang Jensen
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I dived with John in Puerto Galera, although the depths we reach together
>were several hundred meters short of his deepest dives :-)

Ah, at least a couple hundred meters deeper than my deepest then.  :^)

I almost had this John Bennett confused with a Peter B. Bennett of
(former) DAN fame.  Are they related?

> He told me that he
>was fairly certain that he would die diving - apparently , and sadly,
>prophetic words :-(
>
>Bjorn

Don't know HOW I would die when the time comes.  But I can't think
of plenty more miserable ways of dying than "die diving"!

But I am absolutely positively certain that I will NOT die diving
in a cave requiring lines and reels.   :-)

Don't mean to make light of this Bennett's demise and the loss to
the diving community.  Everyone has to die, sooner or later.
President Roosevelt (most-respected president by ME because of
his intellect AND adventurous bend).  Upon asking WHY he risked
his life exploring the Amazon and other adventurous endeavors,
his answer, was something to the effect (my paraphrase) that

"At 51, I have already lived the lives of most 9 other people I
know.  Why should I worry about dying for doing what I love to do?"

It was prophetic in a way too, that he died not long after saying
that, from malaria he suffered while exploring the Amazon.

I think the SIMILARITY between Roosevelt and Bennett is that they
both died doing what they loved to do.   The DIFFERENCE is that
Roosevelt probably died in a slower, more painful way, than Bennett.

I salute both.

Which bring to mine my favorite saying, see in rec.scuba!  :-)

> Steve Kramer
> Osaka, Japan and the rest of  the World!
>
> I wish to live my life deliberately, to front the essential facts
> of life; to suck the very marrow of life and see if I can learn what
> it has to teach, and not, when it comes my time to die, discover that
> I have not lived.

whose fuller version was attributed by various scholars on THIS LIST,
including Bjorn and Strike, to Henry David Thoreau.  I found this
version on the web just now:

http://theofframp.blogs.com/debbiez/2003/06/index.html

I think that's the TRUE MEANING when some of us tell someone,
usually in ng and LIST flamewars to "Get a Life!.   :-)

-- Bob.