SCUBA-SE Archives

March 2004

Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:19:19 +0200
At 3/16/2004 12:44 PM -0500, Huw wrote:

>Which leads to the question:
>
>A little bit of task loading, thick gloves and cold fingers, and my spool
>technique goes all to pot.  To the extent that I was - in retrospect - not
>in a good position to assist my buddy if he had required it.  I'm even
>tempted to go back to a reel for DSMB use, but <cough>DIR</cough> has been
>right about so many things, I want to give this one the benefit of the doubt.
>
>So, for those on the list that use spools, has anyone got any technique
>tips, or is it just a question of practice, practice, practice?

Might I suggest, very humbly of course, that a spool is not such a great
idea?  I even searched the net and found JJ's tips (on GUE's site) and I
got the impression that although he recommends a spool, he also said that
it had its problems.  So I guess that you are clear DIR wise :-)

I've used spools reels and other atrocities and reached the conclusion that
the least problematic with gloves is a big SIMPLE reel.  The smaller ones
and the complicated ones with an automatic clutch etc. tend to make your
life miserable with those gloves.  I, personally, don't like spools at all
due to their tendency to fall from my hand and start rolling down, when I
am doing deco and REALLY hate to chase it downwards :-)  But that's
probably only clumsy me.

Regards,

                    Kuty