HP3000-L Archives

February 2004, Week 4

From:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:09:09 -0800
Jesse Dougherty writes

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse Dougherty [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 8:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Older fiber link drive and MPE 6.0

We are trying to spin up an older C2204A 1.34GB fiber link fixed disk
drive
via a 9x7 using MPE/iX 6.0, the system sees and identifies the drive but
does not mount it. Does anyone know if HP removed the fiber link drivers
from 6.0 and beyond?
From the 6.5 communicator

Discontinuance of High Availability Fiber Link Disk Drives

In May 1993, Hewlett-Packard Company introduced a family of High
Availability Fiber Link disk arrays. Those Fiber Link (HP-FL) disk
arrays were discontinued in August of 1997, along with other standalone
Fiber link disk drives. The Fiber Link disk arrays were HP's first RAID
devices built for high availability, high performance, high capacity and
distances up to 500 meters. Since 1993, HP has embraced new disk array
technologies, EMC disk arrays, High Availability Model 10 and 20 disk
arrays and AutoRAID.

CSY is also moving to new processor technologies, like the N-class
computers. These new computers call for new I/O cards, devices drives
and I/O backplanes. MPE/iX is also changing. MPE/iX 6.5 is the first HP
3000 operating system to support these new I/O requirements. Therefore,
MPE/iX 6.5 will not support Fiber Link disk I/O system drivers, I/O
cards, and Fiber Link disks. The last release of MPE/iX to support HP-FL
drivers and disk is MPE/iX 6.0.

Mike Berkowitz
Guess? Inc.