HP3000-L Archives

February 2004, Week 4

From:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:16:18 -0500
Scitt

IF global warming IS occurring (which I believe) and it IS because of human
action(which I also believe), IMHO, the Kyoto protocol as written is STILL
not the answer because, while it DOES punish the U.S. and most of the rest
of the developed world for their past sins, it also seems to give free reign
for the under developed world to repeat our mistakes while we pay THEIR
penance, too.  For something like Kyoto to work, every sinner not only must
repent(whether they've sinned yet or not), but go forth and sin no more.

-----------------------

As much as I encourage your opposition to the Kyoto protocol, I have to
disagree with you on the human vector in global warming and other so
called climate changes.

-----------------------

If global warming IS occurring and it is NOT caused by human action, I guess
we must learn to deal with it.  However, if past behavior is any indicator,
we'll be in denial until de-Nile is up to our hips(Couldn't resist the pun,
sorry), then call those trying to swim ashore illegal immigrants and shove
them back in the stream.

If global warming is NOT occurring--then in 50 years or so, after expending
all the capital to 'go green', we'll be more energy efficient, our air and
water will be cleaner(who WOULDN'T like that), and we won't have to send
troops half way around the world every time some tin pot dictator gets his
underwear in a bind.

Actually, I support this.  Fusion and other kinds of energy sources
are the best answer I can think of to many of our interconnected
problems.