HP3000-L Archives

February 2004, Week 2

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:46:14 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Denys
Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]> writes

>Clark further explained: "I think there's no question that, even though
>we may not have the evidence as Richard [Perle] says, that there have
>been such contacts [between Iraq and al Qaeda]. It's normal. It's
>natural. These are a lot of bad actors in the same region together. They
>are going to bump into each other. They are going to exchange
>information. They're going to feel each other out and see whether there
>are opportunities to cooperate. That's inevitable in this region, and I
>think it's clear that regardless of whether or not such evidence is
>produced of these connections that Saddam Hussein is a threat."

No right-thinking person could take this as any standard of proof for
one microsecond.

Though if Right-thinking people do, then I guess it's no wonder they
seem to be able to believe all the other stuff. Though as Clark is a
Democrat, it seems to be all-pervasive... help!

>What is troubling about the WMDs is very simple.  They existed and have
>so far not been found.  Where are they?  Saddam sent his air force into
>Iran in 1991.  He has a history of sending weapons abroad when directly
>threatened.

What are you going to do when Bush's commission reports on the failures
of intelligence, and confirms that there have been no WMDs in Iraq since
about 1991? Will you de-align from Bush?

OTOH, if you have any evidence at all of WMDs, even only as little as
would satisfy Wesley Clark, maybe you should turn up to that commission,
and make a deposition.

Otherwise there won't be proof of WMDs, it'll just be 'poof' on
WMDs.....

But, tell me again why we are in Iraq:

If it's the WMD, where are they?

If it's the threat of nuclear weapons, why aren't we in Korea?

If it's his bad record at starting wars (e.g. Kuwait), why didn't we go
in after Desert Storm?

If it's the despotism and tyranny, why aren't we in Zimbabwe?

If it's the despotism and tyranny, why weren't we welcomed with open
arms by those we went to save from Saddam?

If most people found it not too bad if they kept their heads down under
Saddam, why aren't they keeping their heads down now?

If it's Al Qaeda, why haven't we stopped the rot in Afghanistan?

If it's the oil, how the hell are we going to get it out of there?

Finally, a question from a different tack. We saw Saddam being dragged
from his hideyhole, and looking down in the mouth while a doctor looked
down in his mouth....

It's gone awfully quiet on that front, hasn't it? What do we think is
happening? Are they persuading him to tell them about the reality of the
WMD, do you suppose, and Bush is privy to that, hence the commission?

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris