HP3000-L Archives

February 2004, Week 2

From:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:23:12 -0800
Deborah,

Please search the archives, this was asked before (by me :-) )

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=MPS+group:comp.sys.hp.mpe&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.sys.hp.mpe&selm=3e2c247f%241%40skycache-news.fidnet.com&rnum=1

Since it is long and wraps, here is Gavin Scott's quick response:

I would hazard a guess that "MPS" is "Mentat Portable Streams", the SYSTEM V
STREAMS library that HP licensed for use in implementing named pipes and
similar functionality in MPE.  These messages will always be produced the
first time after boot-up that something invokes the Streams subsystem by
using a named pipe etc.

A "Stream" in this context is probably unrelated to any other meaning you
might know for the term.  The Streams facility was invented (IIRC) by Denis
Ritchie as a mechanism for managing "protocol stacks".  A program constructs
a "stream" by opening a device and then inserting protocol modules into the
stream between itself and the device, allowing arbitrary configurations to
be assembled at runtime.  Data then flows "up-stream" from the device to the
program and "down-stream" from the program to the device, passing from one
layer to the next.  The Streams system provides buffering and flow control
along with a primitive scheduling system that ensures that forward progress
can be made in the presence of drivers that block.

Programming using the streams facility is difficult and arcane, and
implementing the Streams facility itself even more so.

The MPS code in MPE is one of the few components of the operating system not
entirely owned by HP, and as such it is one of the complicating factors for
any future Open MPE initiatives or alternative MPE licensing.

The MPS startup messages are normal and you should ignore them.

G.

-Craig