HP3000-L Archives

February 2004, Week 2

From:
Peter Krynicki <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Krynicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 08:33:41 -0600
 Brice Yokem <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message news:<[log in to unmask]>...
> Hemingway wasn't in the Republican, or any army or even the militias,
> as was Orwell. Hemingway was in Spain covering the war as a newspaper
> correspondant.
>
> ------------------
>
> I thought Hemmingway was a ambulance driver.

He drove an ambulance for a very short time during the Great War in
Italy in 1918. Not content with this, he volunteered to delivere candy
and cigars to the men in the trenches at the front. During one visit a
trench mortor blew up near him and the Italians, killing one and
wounding another and Hemingway. He was given a medal for carrying the
wounded soldier back to a dressing station in spite of schrapnel
wounds in his legs.

> Spain was a no win situation for the West.  Franco was the lesser of two
> evils.  If the Red's had won, Spain would be exporting revolution
> elsewhere.

 The poet W.H. Auden described it as the bad fighting the worse. The
war ended in 1938 and given what was going to happen next in the
world, I don't think it would have mattered who won.

Pjk