HP3000-L Archives

February 2004, Week 2

From:
Alan Yeo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:33:38 -0600
 In article <[log in to unmask]>, Brice Yokem
<[log in to unmask]> writes

On the whole I normally refrain from commenting on Religion or Politics
but...

>The WMD's are where they people who are not talking know they are.

That's a statement that's going to be very hard to disprove, even
circumstantial evidence would seem to be a term of gross exaggeration
for this statement.

>We are in Korea.

South Yes, I'd put a large pint on nobody going anywhere near the North
with a long barge pole

>Zimbabwe is not a growing threat to this country, and we cannot save
>everyone.

Like a few others I suspect I'm waiting for someone to indicate why Iraq
was a growing physical threat to your country or mine, to his neighbours
maybe, but to the USA or the UK?  As to Zimbabwe, if your into regime
change because you don't like someone (which is against internal law and
the UN conventions) this is probably a far better candidate, and
probably has about the same level of direct threat to our nations as
Iraq had.

>We deposed the Taliban, they were pretty rotten.

I think the justification was going after Bin's lot, and that's why most
of the world either backed or tacitly approved the action in
Afghanistan. It just happens that they were being harboured by the
Taliban who whilst they may have customs and beliefs that are very
different from ours and may also not have been 'nice' people at the
time, they had apparently been nice people when they had been fighting
the Russians, and were being armed indirectly by us.

>We are starting to get the oil out of Iraq, once the resistance has been
>cleaned up it will go a lot faster, and safer.

Resistance unfortunately lives in peoples minds and is not something
that can be cleaned off the sidewalk. Think back to the Second World
War, or Vietnam, or the Russian experience in Afganistan. It will be a
long haul to stop it and will only succeed when all the people of Iraq
are fully behind the changes.

No offence meant, none taken, and I'd best go back to not commenting on
Politics again :-)

--
Alan Yeo
[log in to unmask]    Just because you're paranoid