HP3000-L Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:49:10 -0800
Jon writes:
> As it is not possible to tell which of you is infected and sending out
> virus attachments,

In December we signed up with Message Labs (www.messagelabs.com) to have
them filter our incoming mail for spam and viruses.  As a result, I have not
gotten a single virus message in over two months, even though more than
1,000 have tried to reach me.  Message Labs spam filtering is good but not
amazing (it's basically Spam Assasin and you may occasionally need to
"white-list" people you want to get mail from) but their virus detection
(even for unknown emerging viruses) has been perfect so far.  The cost for
our small number of users is on the order of $100/month, which is
cheap-like-dirt for the elimination of gigabytes of virus email and at least
a good a job of spam filtering as we could do ourselves, plus we don't have
to waste time managing the whole mess and keeping up with the daily changes
in blacklist services, etc.  It's definitely worth looking at a service like
this if you're being inundated by virus traffic.

> I would propose the following changes to this list:
> - Shut off the re-posting to comp.sys.hp.mpe

This has been suggested many times but many people seem to be against it.
At the moment it's the only convenient method for me of seeing OT postings
if I occasionally want to skim at least the subjects.

> - Automatically nospam the from address in some fashion as in

You could do this at the gateway to Usenet and this might be a worthwhile
option, though I'm not sure "nospam" fools anyone but legitimate repliers.

> It would also be helpful if this list had some sort of standards for
> postings:

Which would be enforced how?  The only way to do this is to "moderate" the
list, which most people seem to be against and/or there are insufficient
volunteers to do the moderation (plus the unsolvable argument about what
should and shouldn't be allowed).

Turning off OT messages has reduced the traffic/noise level of 3000-L to the
point that it's usable again.

G.