HP3000-L Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:58:16 -0800
Helly Cary,

Typical paths for 9x7 are:

     io> LDEV 1
 LDEV:     1  DEVNAME:                    OUTDEV:        0   MODE:
   ID: HPC3010M1                          RSIZE:       128   DEVTYPE: DISC
 PATH: 52.6.0                             MPETYPE:       4   MPESUBTYPE:  2
CLASS: DISC     SPOOL

     io> LDEV 7
 LDEV:     7  DEVNAME:                    OUTDEV:        0   MODE:        R
   ID: HPC1503B                           RSIZE:       128   DEVTYPE: TAPE
 PATH: 52.0.0                             MPETYPE:      24   MPESUBTYPE:  7
CLASS: TAPE     DDUMP    TAPE1

The commands are:

PA PRI 52.6.0
PA ALT 52.0.0

and then you will do a BO ALT
interact with ISL ?  yES
>UPDATE

BO PRI
interact with ISL ?  YES
START NORECOVERY

Regards,
  James Hofmeister

Cary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Greetings all,

I am trying to bring a 967RX back to life. There is nothing wrong
with it other than it had a disk failure a while back and we just shut
it off rather than reloading (it was a test box at the time.) So now
I'm trying to boot it and do a reload from an SLT. Since the system
volume set is hosed due to the failed disk (not LDEV1 by the way) it
won't boot from the primary path. I'm trying to get it to boot from
tape and not having any luck. I am used to my 979/400 on which I can
simply enter BO TA and the system will boot from tape. On the 967,
apparently you only have Primary and Alternate path to choose from.
Unfortunately, it seems the alternate path is not set to the right
address for the tape, because it won't boot from alternate, either.
I've tried changing the alternate path from the console using the PATH
command but I can't seem to get it. I'm a self taught MPE guy and not
a real expert at this stuff by any means. I think the 967 has two
cards; a single-ended card at 56 and a differential card at 52. I am
assuming the tape would be on 56. Before I changed anything, I think
the alt path was set to 56.0.0.0.0.0.0 (which doesn't make sense
because I think that's the console path.) Does anyone have any idea
what a default setting would be for the tape path on a 967? I've
tried 56.0.0.0.0.0.0 through 56.7.0.0.0.0.0 with no luck. I'm not
sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cary

Regards,

James Hofmeister
Email: <first>.<last>@hp.com
Hewlett Packard - Global Solutions Engineering (WTEC)
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.