HP3000-L Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:24:24 -0600
> We lull ourselves into a false sense of security with our
> monitoring and regulating, because the oligopoly has captured
> the so-called watchdogs. During the waning days of Enron,
> former Sec. of Treasury Robert Rubin called the Bush Treasury
>  to have them call banks to have them extend more credit to
> Enron.  Where were the protectors for the Enron investors?
> Not at Citibank, where the former head of the regulators was
> trying to use his government influence to his and his
> company's advantage.

You neglected to mention that the Bush treasury declined to do them this
favor.

> > Do you agree that the wolves may also include military equipment
> > manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies and natural resource
> > extractors as well as those seeking to increase social welfare
> > benefits and wider health cover to citizens?
>
> Absolutely!  You see, we all know that there's greedy people
> in the corporate world, it's just that there's much fewer of
> us who realize that the same crooked people in the corporate
> world also exist in the public sector.  Hell, they're the
> same damn people a lot of the time.  When crooks in the
> private sector mess up, we just hand it over to the crooks in
> the public sector* (who are the same crooks that come from
> the private sector). It's the regulatory world that is the
> ideal which does not exist in the real world.

Well, buckle up... Things are going to get worse.

As long as our educational institutions teach that there is no right and
wrong, that everything is shades of grey, ethics will continue to be
little more than a punchline and CEO's will continue to put stock value
ahead of their employees, products and customers.

Comments are my own, not my employer's... Etc.