HP3000-L Archives

February 2004, Week 1

From:
donna garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:05:17 -0800
--- Dave Powell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Any hope for an update to make it more robust?

a couple of thoughts
- make sure you've got the latest version.  randy continues to make
improvements to this program...so it could be a newer version might
behave better.
- call randy.  he's a nice guy and easy to work with.  contact me
privately if you need his email address...

> How likely is it that 'sendmail' would work better when the ISP is
> acting up?  I'm sure it would work fine under normal conditions, but
> so does 'Mail'.

you gotta pick the right tool for the job.

the mail client is freeware...great stuff, easy to use...but still
freeware.  it doesn't have retry capability and absolutely won't work
if the network is down.  (that fact kinda smacked me upside my head for
my system shutdown jobs :-)

sendmail, otoh, will attempt to resend mail messages (for a long
(configurable?) time).  but it's requires configuration of sendmail and
syslog.  it's not hard to do though (just follow mark's notes!).  if
you want to try sendmail (which is the server portion -- not the
client) take a look at the mailit1 job on invent3k for how to interface
with mailx.         - d

=====
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer
dgarverick -at- longs -dot- com
925-210-6631        Longs Drug Stores

Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.
"Ulysses", A. Tennyson