UTCSTAFF Archives

February 2004

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Suzanna Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanna Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:55:00 -0500
The uproar over "Nipplegate" must certainly be a diversionary tactic on the
behalf of the US Government and CBS.  It couldn't possibly be because
millions of parents across the country are angered that they now have to
explain to their sons why it is not inappropriate, and in fact is
completely reprehensible, to rip off a woman's clothing.  Or because
millions of parents now have to explain to their daughters that public
nudity it is a completely inappropriate response to a sinking career.  Or
that those same parents now have to explain to their daughters that
breasts, while natural and beautiful, possesses the power to make most
males act like complete idiots when faced with them.  And to save men from
the indignity of that buffoonery we should keep them under wraps until we
meet that one man that we want to act like an idiot for us--our husband.  I
mean parents nationwide couldn't possibly be upset because they now have to
explain to their sons that women are their equals and are intended to be
their partners in life--not merely a walking, talking blow up doll created
simply to satisfy man's carnal needs.
A political coverup?  Give me a break!  The real grassroots uprising should
be against the "Hollywood/MTV" culture that continually presents sex as the
all-consuming reason for our existence.  If the government isn't supposed
to be in our bedrooms, the TV cameras shouldn't be there either.  Janet, if
you really want Justin to get you naked by the end of the song--Get a room!

At 11:17 AM 2/5/2004 -0500, Tom Bodkin wrote:
>Friends,
>The only reason there is a nationwide and UTC-wide discussion of immoral
>behavior by the halftime performers is because the United States
>government and CBS want you to. They want you to spend the rest of the
>year (at least through November) discussing nipples and pseudo-lesbians in
>order to distract America from the REAL issue, which is the grassroots
>ground swelling controversy over the unwarranted and blatant censorship of
>the MoveOn.org commercial. The perfect defense to the massive build-up by
>activists on CBS's border was to create a moral dilemma with Janet
>Jackson's breast. If you want to raise your voice over something, how
>about joining the grassroots movement and help remove the war criminal
>from the Oval Office. Offended? Take a look at the future of your civil
>rights and you should be offended. Take a look at human rights violations
>and you should be offended by what our country does. If you're not
>offended, at least consider the possibility that you've become blinded by
>the government's wool.
>Tom Bodkin
>Adjunct Faculty, Forensic Anthropologist
>"Breasts are natural, I have them too!"

Suzanna Nichols
Administrative Assistant
UT SimCenter at Chattanooga