SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2004

From:
Robert Delfs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:38:20 +0800
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:02:23 +1100, David Strike wrote:

>(I'm now busy brushing up on my Bahasa Indonesia.  I figure that "G'Day",
>"beer", "food", "please speak to my wife who will pay for everything", and
>'thank you" should suffice!)  :-)

G'day branches into four possibilities:
  Selamat (pronounced s'lamat) pagi = good morning (up to about 11:00
am)
  Selamat siang = good day (roughly from 11:00 am until 2:00 pm)
  Selamat sore = good afternoon  (from 2:00 pm until dusk)
  Selamat malam = good evening (anytime after dusk).

"Beer" = bir (but it's safer to specifyi"Bintang besar", meaning the
big bottle - see previous messages on this subject)
"Food" = makanan
"Thank you" = Terima kasih
"Please speak to my wife who will pay for everything"
 = Semuanya akan dimembayar oleh dia (while pointing vigorously in her
direction). But let me check this one with my bahasa teacher, who's
coming this afternoon.

We'll set a new lesson next week.  Among the phrases to be learned will
be:

1.  Where are all the fish?
2.  How fast is that current?
3.  Excuse me, but  your suitcase seems to be making a "ticking" noise.
4.  The pen is in my aunt.  (Always useful in France, so it should be
good here too.)

Robert Delfs

>I'm really looking forward to meeting you and Sandy and - while I'll
>undoubtedly catch up with Bjorn, Soyong, Bob and Sue in Singapore (BTW!
>I'll now be staying at the Marina Mandarin - rather than the Pan-Pacific as
>previously stated) - I also look forward to seeing Michael again.  :-)
>
>And thanks for the offer of a back-plate and harness, but 'cause it seems to
>take me forever to fine-tune the things, I'll bring everything with me -
>except for the cheese and tomato sandwiches wrapped in grease-proof paper
>that I alwas stuff into the back-pouch, alongside the telescopic snorkel, in
>case of need! :-))
>
>Strike

Tabula International Ltd.
Email:  <[log in to unmask]