SCUBA-SE Archives

February 2004

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:04:20 -0500
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:45:44 +0800, Robert Delfs <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I don't know what rates people are getting for the Hyatt (or the Hotel
>Sanur Beach for that matter).  I can tell you that the last people -
>Eric Cheng (wetpixel.com) and a friend - that I recommended the
>Parigata to were able to negotiate a rate of about $50 per night.

The Sanur Beach Hyatt (I thought had been declared the NEDfest
Headquarters the last round until Strike's travel agent threw in
the package monkey wrench <g>) is $70 USD when I booked it on the
Continental Airlines webpage.  That's the one I believe you
said would have free pickup by the dive operation because its so
close to the dock, and also close to town and everything else.

The Parigata is listed at $60 on the CO webpage.  So, $50 is about
a 16% discount over that rate.

I have booked (on request) an upgrade to the $220 per night suit
which I thought had been confirmed.  But on checking this morning,
there must have been an ASIAN SNAFU because the 72 hour notification
clock (on 1/27) does not start ticking until my phone call, though
all the reservation details were on record.  So, I won't know for
72 hours whether I'll be staying at the suite, which is 120 sq. meters
(1292 sq. feet) almost as large as the Piazza Suite at the Venetian
in Las Vegas (1,400 sq feet), where I'll be heading tomorrow, which
goes for over $1,000 per night.  :-)

So the Bali Hyatt suite is a BARGAIN even at the $220 price.  But
I am getting the upgrade on Hyatt POINTS I already had, that I am
unlikely to use anywhere else, I'll stick with the Hyatt.

That suite would be a nice place for our private gathering(s)
other than some bar in town.  1,292 sq feet is larger than my
sister's "shack" in Santa Monica, which has a going price of
about $400,000. USD   She's NOT selling!  :-)

>The Parigata is quite nice.  Small.  About half way between our place
>and the Bali Hyatt,  5 minutes or so in either direction.  They don't
>have frontage on the beach itself, but are only about 200 m. away from
>it, and well in from Jalan Danau Tamblingan road and its traffic noise.

DOn't know what the CO webpage reference point is.  But the Hyatt is
0.5 from it, while the Parigata is 3.2 miles.

exerpted from
http://www.continental.com/hDetail.asp?SID=AB347FE7DE5C400A8C38E88236D76A1A

Location
   Situated in Sanur, Bali's first tourism destination with a history that
stretches back to ancient times, the resort is built in classic Balinese-
style surrounded by lush tropical gardens teeming with exotic foliage and
secluded lilyponds. With the exclusive new Spa at Bali Hyatt and more than
1-km of pristine sandy beach, the resort is truly unique. Tastefully
designed with Balinese furniture and furnishing, it gives Bali Hyatt an
authentic native touch. A short distance from the city of Denpasar, Kuta
and other sight-seeing areas.

   Points of Interest
   * prime white sand Sanur Beach * Sanur village and beach market * Le
Majeur & Ni Polok museum in Sanur * Ubud, centre of Balinese painting and
fine arts * Mas, woodcarving centre * Celuk, village of silver and gold
work * Goa Gajah Elephant Cave * Tanah Lot Sea Temple * Besakih ?Mother
Temple of Bali?

Directions

   From the Ngurah Rai Int?l Airport
   15km/20 mins by car Denpasar 10km/15 mins by car

-- Bob.