HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 5

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:28:08 -0800
this is another line of rubbish.  What I find interesting, and as a Mormon
I run in to this all the time, is people like you getting on their soapbox
and telling me what I believe, when in point of fact, you have no clue.  I
know you are highly schooled Wirt, so I know you understand how percentages
work.  The "wealthy" pay the lions share of taxes regardless of any
cuts.  There is new data for 2001. The share of total income taxes paid by
the top 1% fell to 33.89% from 37.42% in 2000. This is mainly because their
income share (not just wages) fell from 20.81% to 17.53%. However, their
average tax rate actually rose slightly from 27.45% to 27.50%.

This proves that it was not the tax cut that caused revenues from the rich
to fall, but the recession and the stock market crash. In other words, you
live by the sword, you die by the sword. If you are going to benefit from
the rich paying more taxes, due to progressivity, on the upside, you are
going to lose more revenue from these people on the downside. This is a
good argument for reducing progressivity.

Think of it this way: less than four dollars out of every $100 paid in
income taxes in the United States is paid by someone in the bottom 50% of
wage earners. Are the top half millionaires? Noooo, more like
"thousandaires." The top 50% were those individuals or couples filing
jointly who earned $26,000 and up in 1999. (The top 1% earned
$293,000-plus.) Americans who want to are continuing to improve their lives
- and those who don't want to, aren't. Here are the wage earners in each
category and the percentages they pay:

Top 5% pay 53.25% of all income taxes (Down from 2000 figure: 56.47%). The
top 10% pay 64.89% (Down from 2000 figure: 67.33%). The top 25% pay 82.9%
(Down from 2000 figure: 84.01%). The top 50% pay 96.03% (Down from 2000
figure: 96.09%). The bottom 50%? They pay a paltry 3.97% of all income
taxes. The top 1% is paying more than ten times the federal income taxes
than the bottom 50%! And who earns what? The top 1% earns 17.53 (2000:
20.81%) of all income. The top 5% earns 31.99 (2000: 35.30%). The top 10%
earns 43.11% (2000: 46.01%); the top 25% earns 65.23% (2000: 67.15%), and
the top 50% earns 86.19% (2000: 87.01%) of all the income.

The Democrats like to tax wages, but they don't tax wealth, so you have
people like Ted Kennedy, John Kerry (the richest man in the senate), Diane
Feinstein that have tons of wealth but don't pay near the taxes that even
someone like myself will.  I can't believe that a super smart guy like you
would buy in to this "tax breaks for the rich" crap.

I chose to take on one of your points, but the rest are all equally
invalid.  Now note, that all I'm doing is refuting what you are saying, I'm
not telling you what you believe, unlike what you are doing.  You see,
liberals can't help themselves, they want to control your lives, tell you
what is right, what is wrong, spend your money for you (because they know
best) and tell you what you think.  Whoops, I just told you what you think.

Regards,

Shawn Gordon
President
theKompany.com