HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 4

From:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:26:43 -0500
>> My class path variable is then just set to where my own jars exist.
>> Seems the java compile will look automatically in the ext area.
>> Makes the class path much smaller when dealing with all those jars
>> out there.
>
> Correction.  When using jars each and every one has to be explicitly
> stated on the class path.  Unless they are placed in that ext
> directory.  So my class path would have all the jars I created listed
> with their path.

Fair warning though.

- Only put classes/jars in the ext folder that you explicitly trust.
Anything found in the ext folder automatically has the same security of any
of the standard java classes (java.lang.*, etc.)

- If there is multiple versions of a class, you'll want to resolve those in
a classpath

- I think that all jars require some time when the VM starts, so if you
don't need it for all programs, you may suffer a performance penalty.

- Some classes are loaded by a custom class loader that doesn't look at the
CLASSPATH or the ext folder (classes run by some application servers IIRC).

Mark W.