HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 4

From:
"Hans-Ole Kaae, ScanConsult" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hans-Ole Kaae, ScanConsult
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:05:55 +0100
Hi Craig,

Actually I had a lot of really fine help from Goetz back then, as you may
have seen.

What I have found is: You may use contigvol to make yourself a small chunk
of free space - and as Goetz writes:

"You can run CONTIGVOL multiple times if the first run
does not condense the free space enough because of this
limitation."

However, in my case - you will end up very quickly with just a small lump of
free space that cannot be grown, whatever you try. Even if you try to expand
it just a few sectors, it will not succeed, due to the table limitation.

As I see it, this tablesize-limitation is acually rather grave and will (at
least in our case) prevent contigvol to be of much use.

We're currently looking into a reload/more disks/3. party solution, since we
cannot expect HP to fix such issues these days, I think.

And let's not forget that contigvol was never promised to be a
miracle-tool...

Mange hilsner / With kind regards

Hans-Ole

E-mail: [log in to unmask]        Cell Phone: +45 4042 5507
ScanConsult IT-Partners ApS         Voice   : +45 8738 7474
Jegstrupvej 96A                     Fax     : +45 8738 7475
DK-8361 Hasselager         Support : [log in to unmask]
Denmark                    Sales   :   [log in to unmask]
                 http://www.scanconsult.dk
= ParaSuite :  A Suite of Air Cargo Handling solutions    =
= ParaSafe  :  A Suite of IT-Security solutions           =
= Partners  : Hewlett-Packard, Cognos, Microsoft and more =