HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 3

From:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:15:21 -0600
> I understand what you are saying; although, the name calling
> that has gone on is childish.  I'm saying that for all sides
> of this conversation.  I have worked in small shops that
> can't afford to purchase 3rd party software.  So the only way
> to have system tools is to make them.
>
> Brian, I would like to see what you have.  Maybe we can make
> it better.  If it would be ok, I'd like to add it to my website.
>
> Please let me know your thoughts.
>
> Ron Horner
> Horner Consulting

My reponse to Brian's post was not meant to attack his development of an
alternative to Vesoft's product, I am sure many of us have created
slimmed down versions of utilities, but merely expressed surprise at his
labeling their prices inflated. I cannot count the number of times
someone has used Vesoft's pricing as an example of a reasonable fee when
compared to the demands of other 3rd party vendors, some of which
bordered on extortion, when it came time for a system upgrade.

For me, the combination of Vesoft's products has always demonstrated a
ROI that paid for the product in the first year of use. Fortunately
every company I have worked for has either already owned or was willing
to purchase the products when I asked for them.

Comments are my own, not my employer's... Etc.