HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 3

From:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 04:33:30 -0600
 Johnson, Tracy wrote:

> And who at HP decided to use DEC terminal
> emulation!?  This was YEARS before Compaq
> took over DEC and HP took over Compaq!
> (Or was it a long term conspiracy?)

I have to say that I do not know, but I guesstimate that:

vt52/vt100 terminal (emulation) is much more of a
de facto standard (compared to hp2392) available in
practically every terminal or termulator on the market.

and HP's Unix customers (the much bigger target market
for the Nike's) are much more likely to have a terminal
that speaks vt100 than one that speaks hp2392.

and then maybe there is much more ready to use chips or
firmware to implement vt100 with less R&D effort.

no conspiracy, just market forces, I think.

Goetz