HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 3

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:24:26 -0500

My remark about it "not" being said was my method of
noting how it says something without really saying it.
Yes it "infers" Java being used, I just wanted to point
out it the item (as forwarded here) just didn't come out
and say "it".  "It" was inferred.

> It also mentions that Wind Rivers's VxWorks RTOS runs the
> StarDust probe
> that just grabbed some comet dust.
>
> > It only says the Mars Rover Devices use it as an operating system.
> > This seems to be a general statement which doesn't necessarily
> > mean it is used in all cases, or even this one.
>
> But it doesn't.  It says it uses Java to send commands to the
> operating system of the rover.

Yes it does, it said thus, word-for-word in the introductory paragraph:

"The Mars Rovers devices, developed by the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
(JPL) in conjunction with Wind River, use Java as a low-cost, easy-to-use
operating system."

The whole release was not forwarded to the here, only the banner and
paragraphs 2, 3, and 4.  If one never goes to the link, one can read
into it something that was not the original intent (as I did.)  One
has to go paragraph 1 (which wasn't sent here,) following the
introduction to read that.

Now I'm quite fond of pointing out the absurd for humor's sake,
hence my misinterpretation.  I'm guessing that a good portion
just read the forwarded text and never access the link and
could have made the same assumption.

> > As far as an "Operating System" is concerned, do the devices
> > actually "boot" to Java?  Or do they really mean the Mars
> > Rover Devices use Java as an application to do certain things?
>
> Putting aside the "operating system" remark, remember that
> Java and .Net run
> on "virtual" machines.  The VM (or in .Net's case, the CLR)
> engine is the
> part that talks to the hardware.  Certainly a VM could be the
> first program
> that boots up and once in the VM, you're always using Java or
> .Net programs.
> All device handling is abstracted in the program and translated to the
> appropriate device by the VM.
>
> That said, Sun has done some work creating hardware that does
> the work of
> the VM:
> http://news.com.com/2100-1001-278485.html?legacy=cnet

BT