HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 3

From:
Deane Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deane Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:02:37 -0800
All - thanks for the several suggestions that have come in both
privately and to the list.  In response to a couple of questions
we WON'T be 'homesteading'.  Instead we're looking at perhaps a
year to year-and-half and the box will (sadly) be gone.  Good point
that I hadn't considered re possible failure of MB and it's HPSUSAN
number.  Has anyone actually had HP successfully reinstall the board
AND restore the number?

>We've considered dropping annual support on several of our HP3000
>3rd-party software packages (as the hardware system 'slides out the
>door')
>in favor of paying single-incident support charges as they occur.  At
>least one company we've contacted (nameless for now) has indicated that
>their single incident charge is equivalent to their annual contract which
>seems rather excessive to me.  Question to the list .... are there others
>out there willing to support (defined as: answer telephone questions re
>software when it 'breaks') 3rd-party (non-HP but currently
>installed/running on HP3000 MPE)?  How is that support priced?  Other
>ideas?
>Thanks.
 Deane Bell      Computer Services Coordinator, Affiliate Instructor
 The University of Washington           Vmail      : (206) 598-6009
 Medical Centers Pharmacy               switchboard: (206) 598-6060
 1959 N.E. Pacific Street, Box 356015   facsimile  : (206) 598-4901
 Seattle, WA  98195-6015  U.S.A.        internet   : [log in to unmask]