HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 3

Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:33:38 -0600
 In article <[log in to unmask]>, JON OSE <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>Given the critical nature of your and most remaining HP3000 systems,
>It would be very unwise to discontinue support for any packages that are
>'cripple' ware via: hpsusan, hpcpuname, hpuserlimit, MPE version, mac
>address,
>date, custom PRIV files in PUB.SYS, or just a yet to be discovered bug.
>
>If you have a processor/mother board (depends on system model) that needs
>to be replaced, or you need to upgrade, or you have some type of self
>inflicted
>or natural disaster that requires running on a different system, you may need
>one
>or all of these vendors to cooperate. If they know you are desperate the
>price
>WILL be much higher than the ongoing maintenance fees:)
>
>Another feature of paying the fees is that it is a practical method of
>keeping
>track of the vendors as they combine and change names. A key factor in
>homesteading
>may be the availability or' non-availability 'of support for key third party
>software
>packages.
>
>Jon

And of course software vendors who are continuing to innovate the software they
produce and currently include the HP3000 version in the build would get the
message that you no longer want to keep up with new versions of J2EE or the
.NET methods of data access via ODBC or other technologies and make a business
ddecision to stop spending money on any improvements to the 3000 version of the
software ... maybe not the message you want to send ... especially if you are
planning to homestead.

Think of it as insurance ... you never know when you will need it but it is
really inconvenient not to have paid the insurance bill when you REALLY need
it.

Even if you are homesteading you need a plan to understand what the risks are
... the human factor risks are huge in many of the sites we are working with
.... how many folks will retire in the next 5 years, and how does that impact
yyour site ... the hardware, OS and utility (tool) software is a risk but the
"wet ware" is an even bigger risk.

Hope this helps ... drop the NOSPAM to reply ...
Birket Foster
M. B. Foster Associates .. the 1-800-ANSWERS people!
Supplying UDALink w/cross-platform ODBCLink Option (3000,9000&NT)
See how DataExpress has evolved www.MBFoster.com
EC/EDI(3000,9000,NT) Phone (613) 448-2333 or (613) 448-2588(FAX)