HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 3

From:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:46:04 -0800
Hey Mr. Tracy,

I really enjoyed the model 20's.  Some interesting information for you.

The SP620 controllers use 4 16MB FPM simms, (is 32MB really the limit?  :-) )

MPEX can only see 8 LUNS.

I only recommend Mirroring for MPE, stripping is too much of a performance hit.

What I do is mirror a0,b0 c0,d0 e0,a1 etc, that way it will be mirrored across
SCSI chains.  I HAVE seen a chain go bad in real life, there was no impact to
the system.

I bind 4 pairs on the first SCSI controller and 4 pairs on the second.  16
drives (8 mirrored pairs)is the maximum number of drives for performance.

To get to "Field Engineer Mode" on the Grid Manager, do a Control "P", Shift FE

For MPE, I find it is best to set the controllers to all write cache, this
improves the performance of the transaction manager.

If the Mod20 system parameter is set to 2? ~ unix, it will never work on MPE,
set it to A.

Have fun.

-Craig