HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 2

From:
joe andress <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
joe andress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:46:55 -0600
Bozell Issues $1 Million Challenge to
Tom Brokaw and NBC

     ALEXANDRIA, Va. --- Media Research Center President Brent Bozell is issuing a $1 million challenge to NBC and NBC Nightly News Anchor Tom Brokaw, calling Brokaw on his comments made in a recent interview with Columbia Journalism Review. In the interview, Brokaw directly took on Bozell and the Media Research Center while denying the credibility of their evidence of liberal bias in the press. Among other things, Brokaw said:

     "What I get tired of is Brent Bozell trying to make these fine legal points everywhere every day. A lot of it just doesn't hold up. So much of it is that bias - like beauty - is in the eye of the beholder."

     Bozell responded: "I know our evidence does 'hold up' and we'll prove it. I issue this challenge to NBC and its anchor: let's assemble a mutually agreeable third-party panel and have them review a compilation of the Media Research Center's 16 years of evidence of liberal media bias. If this panel agrees with Brokaw's contention, the Media Research Center will donate $1 million to the anchor's favorite charity. If the panel agrees with us, NBC and Brokaw will donate $1 million to the Media Research Center.

     "Oh, and to sweeten the pot we'll do this: we'll limit our evidence only to Tom Brokaw and NBC. Frankly, that's all the evidence we need to prove the point."

http://www.mediaresearch.org/press/2004/press20040108.asp

I guess someone is ready to put money where their mouth is. It will be interesting to see how this would turn out. I guess one of the biggest issues would be "who makes up the impartial panel" as so many have differing and at time; extreme, points of views. And even more important, and a possible saving grace for Bozell, what makes up 'a mutually agreeable third-party panel'.

A couple of related links:

http://www.mediaresearch.org/popup/brokaw_popup010804.asp

http://www.cjr.org/issues/2004/1/QA-Brokaw.asp