HP3000-L Archives

January 2004, Week 2

From:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:12:34 -0800
I have to guess you're one of the paranoids here, Goetz!

including his background would have helped answer his question a bit;
including a working email address would have helped too.  But including it
would probably have raised raised hp's (and this list's) paranoid
security-minded pipple, too.  "What, you have your hands on a STORE tape?
NOOO!  You could steal all of MPE from that!"  Well, of course that's BS,
but it seems to be hp's position re publishing the STORE format.  hp care to
chime in here?

Go figger, when it comes to extracting peoples' names addresses & SSNs from
that tape (live people with valuable identities, as opposed to MPE which
can't get thrown away fast enough), no one would ask - you'd just go look
for the data you want.  Possession of the tape == possession of the data,
down to the level you know how to decrypt.  Can you say degauss?

Tracy Pierce
wait: netiquette?  .02 eurocents worth of reply to that - it was even
ON-TOPIC!