SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2004

From:
Robert Delfs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:26:57 +0800
Thanks (to all who responded).  This is quite interesting.  I wish
there were some easy way for me to try these without shelling out the
$$ to buy a pair - they're not cheap.

David at Divemaster's Pratama has several designs/models on display,
some with somewhat complicated (and weird-looking) little pivoting
plastic blades attached which I suppose do something in channelling the
flow of water over the curved surface of the fins.

Robert Delfs

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:54:29 +1100, David Strike wrote:

>On Saturday, January 10, 2004 2:56 PM, Robert Delfs wrote:
>
>> In abject fear that this critically important and fascinating thread
>> might somehow die out, let me try a branching move.
>
>> Has, or does, anyone on the list actually use Force Fins?  I've never
>> even seen a pair of these weird looking things on a diver in the water.
>
>(snip)
>
>> Any views?
>
>Mate!  Both Ralf and Huw - during his first visit to Oz - used them.  (Ralf
>still does!) Despite the fin's appearance, both guys used them to good
>effect in the water.  The only times that I've tried them, I found them very
>adequate when below the water, but not very efficient when used for surface
>swimming.  (Having said that, I've only used the standard - original? -
>design.  There are, I believe a number of models that boast different
>characteristics.)  For Huw - who was travelling light at the time - they
>were perfect fins to cart around.  :-)
>
>Back in '96, 'aquaCORPS' magazine carried an depth interview with the
>designer, Bob Evans, and the resistance he experienced in terms of their
>acceptance.  (If you can't access a copy, let me know and I'll send you a
>photo-copy.  It is worth reading.  Especially the 'Fin Flashback' sidebar by
>Dr Sam Miller and the evolution of fins!!)  :-))
>
>It seems to me, that the three major problems that Force Fins had (have?)
>were/are:
>1. An innovative design.  (Whether divers think so or not, diving is an
>essentially conservative activity!  While there are 'fashion fads', these
>rarely stray from already proven techniques or equipment design models!)
>
>2. The foot attachments appear to be flimsier - and less secure - than those
>of other fins.
>
>3.  Marketing/distribution.  Getting new product into the stores - and in
>front of customers - is difficult for equipment newcomers.   (Something that
>goes back to that conservative attitude, and the reliance that many dive
>stores place on retaining the 'goodwill' and support of the established
>manufacturers/distributors.)
>
>The other - and possibly most damning of all - considerations, is the
>attitude that those who have never used Force Fins show towards them!  This
>is usually a clich‚d parroting of popular prejudices.  (Much like the use
>of, 'Put Another Dollar In' when referring to PADI!)  :-)
>
>Like I say, I've only tried one model - but wouldn't mind giving the others
>a try.  If for no other reason than to confirm my own decision to stick with
>what I've got!  :-)
>
>Strike

Tabula International Ltd.
Email:  <[log in to unmask]