SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2004

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:03:06 -0500
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 08:43:43 +0800, Bjorn Vang Jensen
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Bob,
>
>> Actually the Conrad is a Hilton also
>
>Didn't know that, go figure.

The name came from one of Liz Taylor's ex, Conrad Hilton!   :-))

>> Shirley Strike can get Sue and me two tickets to the party to
>> watch his MC performance!  :-)   That's YOU, Strike.   We
>> probably won't attend any seminar there even if they feature
>> naked mermaids.
>
>We certainly want to be there as well, if He-Who-Must-Be-Worshipped can
>arrange it :-)

We'll arm-twist him when he finds out for sure that there will be
such an event!

>> Give me the dates of the "public exhibit" and Strike's party
>> so that I can mark my calendar for those events.
>
>Strike can do better, but I'm pretty sure the party is Friday night,
>and the public show is Saturday/Sunday.

It turned out Strike didn't do better.  But what the heck, I ain't
going nowhere far from the ADEX on those days, so it doesn't really
matter which day is what.

>> Since my 6-days are already booked at the Conrad, such an
>> excursion would suit my itinerary best if it could be at
>> either end (4/12-15 or 4/22-25) of my planned stay.  Based
>> on PROBABILITY, which of those might suit you better.
>
>Well, if we want to keep as many options open, then I suggest 22-25.

Since Bali is a possibility, and Robert said,

RD> Australian Air (a new Oz-based discount airline) has just started
RD> a new service three days a week (Tuesday, Friday, Sunday) between
RD> Bali and Singapore.

I'll PROBABLY have to book an additional SIX days on my SIN trip,
to extend to April 28, to allow for a possible Friday (4/23) to
Tuesday (4/27) -- otherwise a Friday - Sunday hop to Bali would
be too short.

This way both options will be covered and will give more flexibility
to the LL dates on the 22-27 end.

It neither materializes, other non-diving hops (to HKG, BKK, etc)
will still be possibilities.

>This is simply because, if LL is out, then Thailand is the
>second-best choice.

I'll take Bali or Thailand as 2nd choice.

>And the Thai New Year, "Songkhran", is April 13-15,

The Chinese New Year is early this year, January 22!  Clazy Olientals!
And according to my appointment calandar bought in Hong Kong,
January 22-24 are "public holidays" in HK, covering the first
three days of the Lunar New Year.

>I will block 22-25 in my calendar for now.

Barring unforeseen problems, I'll tentatively look for a 15-28
roundtrip ATL-SIN on Continental
.

>> I did take a quick perusal of your LL web info.  It did
>> provide the logistic(price/schedule) info in the "package",
>> but the pacage is from Bangkok!  Does that mean a hop to
>> and from Bankok is necessary from Singapore for the LL
>
>No. We would fly from Singapore to Kota Kinabalu (KK) and catch
>the puddle jumper there. It's a 3-4 hour flight, I believe.

Quite a HOP!  3-4 hours is about the distance from Houston to LAX!

But the one-way trip from ATL to SIN will be an 10,847 mile (MANY
hours) hop, skip, and jump through NRT (Tokyo).

The consolation is that the (100,000) CO Frequent Flyer miles
we get from the roundtrip will be worth about $2,000 USD, toward
future use.   :-))  In that sense, the SIN trip is practically
"free", hotel and air.  <BG>

No wonder I couldn't resist!

-- Bob.